Thursday, November 7, 2013

Let me introduce my Ben and his special Super-Power!

Good morning everyone,

I hope your morning has been great so far! I bet you can't help noticing that handsome guy up there ^ Is he not handsome?! I know right?! He is adorable.

And of course he's my son, Ben. I really want to tell you all about him, apart from being one of the cutest kids I know, (the others happen to be my kiddos too, hahaha) Ben is Autistic.

He was diagnosed when he was two years old, he was also diagnosed with ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder {I know what you're thinking. It's an actual disorder!!}
We were basically told he'd never talk and would probably always need us.

Now, as you can imagine I was devastated, I became very depressed but I really didn't have a chance to feel very blue. Early intervention kicked in, along with speech therapy, occupational therapy, behavioral therapy...every single therapy you can think of!

I'll get into the details of each endeavor another time, what I really wanted to focus on this morning is on our TODAY with Ben. He's thriving my friends, he has gone above and beyond every goal we have set for him. He's now 5 years old & is in a 4th grade class, GENIUS I tell you!!

He truly is my pride and joy. And if you all allow me I'd love to chronicle his progress in these posts, his joys, discoveries and above all his journey to discover himself. All the while I fall in love with him more and more. 

To all the parents out there with special needs children this is a special note for you. Although I chose to speak on the beauty of my autistic son in this post, is not to say we have not had struggles. Every day is a struggle for him, with him. The past 3 years have been an emotional, exhausting roller coaster BUT there is no struggle so harsh that his SMILE, his gorgeous smile cannot fade away. Be patient with your child, but more importantly be patient with yourself. Don't ever, ever ever ever...did I say ever?...underestimate the power of LOVE. You can have every single type of therapy and product out there to help your love one, but if all that is not guided by your unconditional love, then in my opinion you won't fully succeed. 

It has always been said that our children above all else need their parents' support and never ending love. So please, love them unconditionally. I promise you they will repay you with the out most manifestation of love, 

I am not ashamed to say that as much as Ben needs me, I need him more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment